est   eng   rus   fin   ger   fra   swe 
 Museum  Horsemill  Tower  Programs  Minting  the exhibition  Picture Gallery 
West ambulatory

 Only stone-carving works of Tallinn origin are exhibited here. It has been tried to establish some chronological order of stone-carving groups for different kinds.
We will start the exhibition from the West ambulatory where the stone-carving slabs are exhibited that belonged to the window construction and now can be observed from three sides. These rectangle-form relief slabs have been probably  placed into the centre of a window for supporting the window lintel. All three slabs came from the beginning of the 16th century (á 1510). Two of them “Thistle” and “Grape tendril” (fragment) were found in 1943. They were immured into a wall of Toompea Palace. The third stylish slab with quadrangular leafs was found in 1931 in a demolished house at Viru 11.
These narrow quadrangular slabs decorated with relieves on both sides form a special group of a certain style. Let’s start our observation from the slab that was found from Viru street. A fantastic animal - dragon is depicted on a lower part of the relief on both sides. This animal is three-headed on one side and one-headed on the other side. A grape tendril with grapes and original quadrangular stylish leafs is growing from the mouth of the dragon. The general solution of the relief is very archaic. So this slab can be dated by the beginning of the 15th century, the same period as capitals of the Great Merchant Guild (one is dated by 1410). These can be characterised by extremely plain finishing. On the profiled design of finished edges of the slab one can find elements of a stick-style that clearly tells about a new form language, so it can be dated by the end of the 15th century or beginning of the 16th century.
Form language of the relieves on the slabs that were found from Toompea (“Thistle” and “Grape tendril”) is even more strict and laconic, but in the profiled design of both edges one can find some elements of a stick-style likewise on the slab that was found from Viru Street.
The memorial tablet placed at the north end of the west ambulatory is from the 16th century. It was found under the ruins of a building at Kohtu St. 5. The table is suffered badly. A composition is depicted on the tablet: on the left there is  Christ on Cross and on the right side there is a knight in front of him on his knees, a head of his warhorse is depicted behind the knight. Depiction of deceased persons praying on knees was a favourite motive in old Livonia.
A part of dolomite interior portal in elegant  last gothic forms is placed between the windows. A solely decorative renaissance vase motive is depicted on it.
There are two stone slabs of low relief from the first half of the 17th century in the same ambulatory. These slabs were found from a cellar soffit of a building situated nearby St. Olaus’ Church. That building was destroyed as a result of March bombings during the Great Patriotic War and the stone slabs were found under the ruins. The stones have a low relief abstract ornamentation in early baroque style that was depicted in a manner proper to renaissance art. A renaissance ornament-like arabesque line is rarely delineated on the surface of the stone slab.




The stonemasons
West ambulatory
the south ambulatory
the East Ambulatory